For a few years now I've had some bright blue holographic dragon scale spandex sitting around and I've never been quite sure what to do with it. I was debating around one day when I came up with the perfect idea- Clair from Pokemon! I've always thought she was such a cool trainer but had never really seriously considered cosplaying her due to some difficult areas of her costume.
So I studied it closer and decided it was a challenge I was ready to take on! While on the surface it seems simple, I used quite a few unique tricks on this cosplay that required some trial and error to really nail down the execution! Read all about how I created Clair under About This Costume to see just how much work went into it!
Started: November 2018
Completed: May 2019
Wig by: Purple Plum Wigs
Worn at: ColossalCon 2019
About This Costume
Clair is a deceptively simple costume. The things I can sew normally were no issue, but the more sculptural elements on her outfit and hair is what really put me to the test! Patterning the bodysuit was straightforward- created a suit in solid fabrics, drew on all my style lines for the princess seams, paneling, and neckline, and the cut down the mockup to create my pattern. I sewed all of the bright blue panels together individually, and then sewed those whole pieces to the front and back light blue panels.
The cape came out all okay, but frankly I'd like to redo it and make it even wider and fuller. Plus I want to use the same fabrics- the red lining I used has a much greater bias stretch and was difficult to get to lay flush with the outer. It works for now, but I think it could be better!
The gloves and body suit were pretty straightforward- it was the rings that was tricky! I cut two semi-circular panels in upholstery vinyl for each singular ring. I sewed them together on the outer edge, and then trimmed and flipped them. I had to do a tedious pressing process to get them sharp on the edges, but they worked pretty well otherwise! They of course had to be hand sewn onto the gloves and boot covers, but otherwise held up pretty well!
The wig was dyed from an originally white wig from Purple Plum wigs (that they so graciously sponsored for me!) and styled by me. I used a hair straightener and tons of hair spray to get the angled bangs in. It was somewhat weird, but it works!